When trying to get pregnant, you may find yourself facing a lot of ‘dos and don’ts’. It can be very hard to separate fact from fiction and doing even the smallest things can seem a little scary. One thing you can count on is that, regardless of what you heard, exercise does not compromise your chances when trying for a baby but there are some things you should be aware of which we are going to discuss in this article.
There are a number of reasons why you should continue (or start) a good exercise routine when you want to get pregnant. Exercise is an important part of a healthy lifestyle -and there are special benefits you can experience while you’re trying. Consider the following findings.
Benefits of exercise while trying for a baby:
- Increase your fertility levels: Engaging in physical activity can impact your fertility levels. Studies show that women who exercise have increased in fertility levels. These women have both fewer problems conceiving and conceive faster than their non-exercising counterparts who are trying to conceive. On a biological level, it increases the rate at which you ovulate.
- Fight unhealthy lifestyles: Exercising also helps fight against certain conditions that can impede your chancing of getting that baby. When you are severely overweight and/ or have a very high BMI, then you are much less likely to conceive a child (and are also much more likely to face complications during your pregnancy). Having regular exercise helps you fight against high BMIs/ obesity and achieve/ maintain a healthy body weight that will carry with you through and beyond your pregnancy.
- Prepare your body: Exercising helps you get a fit body which may make it easier for you to deal with the physical strains that come along with undergoing pregnancy. Carrying a child for nine months can be very hard on a person considering the weight you gain with carrying the child as well as the physical pressure it puts on your body. This means it can help alleviate a lot of the pain and other negative symptoms as well as make labour less difficult. It also puts you at a lower risk of developing gestational diabetes.
- Fight mental battles: It is not uncommon for pregnant women to find themselves facing a lot of mental struggles such as depression and anxiety. These problems can really complicate a pregnancy/ your chances to conceive as your mental problems later translate into physical problems. Exercise can help increase your mood, and lower your levels of stress and mental conditions. This can also be a very good thing for you if you are finding your efforts to conceive to be an especially stressful event.
- Get fit: If you start to exercise while you are trying to conceive it will put you in a great mindset to continue these healthy activities while you are pregnant. Establishing the routine now is a great idea, even if you weren’t trying to conceive. There are many people that find it difficult to get into the groove of regular exercise once they have the baby -especially when they get that baby bump.
- Prepare for your child: If you do manage to establish these routines, it will result in amazing benefits for your child. There are a number of established results that indicate that having a fit mother can result in a healthy baby.
- Don’t do it alone: It’s not just mom that should be exercising for higher chances of fertility. These same benefits work for men as well. Regular exercise in men leads to higher sperm counts. It is also a great idea to exercise together. It helps you guys give each other the support and motivation you need in order to keep with it. It can also help strengthen your relationship that will make the pregnancy an enjoyable experience.
Can I exercise too much when trying for a baby?
Too much of a good thing can be said about a lot of healthy activities, and exercise is no exception. While there is nothing wrong with a gym bunny who wants to stay fit, remember that constantly pushing yourself past your limits always leaves a chance that it may hurt you. You need to do what you have to do to take care of yourself so that your body is at its peak condition. For some, that may mean trying to work out a little more. For others, this may mean that you should try to cut back on extreme sports.
Partaking in extreme sports can leave you feeling very tired and also pose a lot of risks for injury. While these things don’t automatically mean that you will be unable to conceive, it may make the process either. Too much extreme exercise has found that it can have a negative impact on fertility. Indirectly, it may also impact your mood and desire for intercourse as well as put your body in bad shape for if you do get pregnant. (Imagine going through most of your pregnancy with a broken bone or so.)
Don’t scare yourself though. The level of exercise that would pose a threat to your (or your future child’s) health is rather extreme. Trying to conceive shouldn’t interfere with a normal fitness routine.
What exercise to do when trying to conceive
There are a number of things you should always keep in mind when deciding on an exercise routine, and these mean a lot more when you are trying to get pregnant. Although it is not completely necessary, it is great to aim to have your body in its peak physical condition. This doesn’t mean you have to be a star athlete, but you really should try your best to take care of yourself -it will make your life easier.
There are a few things you should keep in mind -like getting plenty of sleep so that you aren’t worn out. This will keep your immune system strong and also help you keep up the mood and stamina so that you will want to engage in more sex. (As it should go without saying that the more you have sex, the more likely you are to have a baby).
RELATED: Best sex positions to get pregnant
In addition to plenty of rest, you should also worry about what you are putting into your body. You need to make sure that you have a proper diet. It doesn’t just give you the energy you need to exercise, but it helps you get through the day. You’ll feel great too and it is a great way to start a healthy diet for your pregnancy routine.
Exercise is an important part of your pregnancy journey. There are a number of amazing benefits that you can experience when you adopt a healthy lifestyle and reap the rewards of fitness. There are a number of things that you should do if you want to conceive and exercising is just another thing for the list. Remember, always stay within your limits and do what you have to do to take care of yourself so that you are in tip-top shape for carrying that baby. Of course, if you are having any problems or concerns, you can always consult with a trained professional, such as your doctor, to give you recommendations.