Since the beginning of recorded history, there have been tales and tips in most cultures about how to make sure you conceive a baby boy. Many people refer to them as old wive’s tales or superstitions whereas others truly believe that there are things that mother and father can do to improve their chances of conceiving a male. Here at Best For Mums we thought it would be a good idea to get all the facts and fiction out there in one handy page – if you’ve followed these tips and ended up lucky please let us know!
Why would someone want a guaranteed boy?
There are many reasons why someone would want a boy over a girl on their current or next pregnancy:
- Already have a girl(s) and want to have at least one of each
- Cultural reasons (i.e they are Chinese, want to create an heir)
- To continue the family name
- Just prefer boys
Everyone’s reasons will be personal to them. Do you really want a boy? What is your reason for this? Why not let us know in the comments below, you do not have to disclose your real name.
Improving your chances of getting a boy
Although none of the following will probably ever be confirmed medically, they are nonetheless contributing factors to conceiving a boy according to some people. The first list lists suggestions which may be plausible
- Have sex as close as possible to the ovulation date – Male sperm is apparently faster while female sperm is apparently hardier and will survive longer. Give your male sperm a better chance by only having sex very close to the ovulation day
- Have a high sperm count – this should help with conception in general but as male sperm are less hardy than female sperm the more really is the merrier to have a boy
- Have deeper penetration during sex, especially during the male orgasm – This can help the sperm get through the acidic vagina quicker which is less male-friendly. Some sex positions to conceive a boy which help get a deeper penetration for you to try (or research if you’re not familiar) are doggy style, flying V, G-whiz, butterfly, turtle and wheelbarrow.
- Allow the woman to orgasm before the man – the orgasm can release a more alkaline fluid which is more male sperm friendly than the vagina’s normal pH balance
- Eat more – there have been studies that women in a calorific surplus have been reported to have more male babies than those who weren’t
A lot of the above has been taken by the ‘Shettles’ method of gender selection, a book which apparently can help you choose the gender of your baby before it’s conceived. If you want to have a look at it it’s available on Amazon:
And now for the fun part! Here are some of the superstitions we’ve encountered about conceiving a boy:
- Let the man make the first move – (no) study suggests that if a man makes the first move then it’s more likely to be a boy
- Have sex on odd days – Some people believe that having sex on an odd day that leads to conception is more likely to lead to a baby boy
- Make love at night – keep your knickers on until after 6pm for a better chance to get a little lad… but what if you have sex twice in a day? Twins?
- Make love on a full moon – this is one of the more outlandish ones as a full moon doesn’t come around all that often. Perhaps try this if you are want to to conceive a Wolf!
- Have sex in a high temperate environment – apparently boys like the hear whole girls prefer to be chilled
So, can you determine the gender of your baby?
So, you’ve read all of the above and really want a boy but not sure what to believe. Well, we’re all about honesty here at Best For Mums and trust me – there is no way to be able to influence the gender of a baby. At the end of the day the chances are around 50/50 – we believe when it comes to trying for a baby the most important thing is to relax, stay healthy, have sex often and enjoy yourself! If your fixated over what the gender is going to be BEFORE you’re pregnant then perhaps you should re evaluate why you’re trying in the first place.
Conception Content Hub
Conception is a tricky subject. Here’s a selection of articles to help you navigate and get pregnant!